Sunday, November 23, 2008

Gandolf Update!

So, you might be thinking, what is the deal with Gandolf? And you'd be right to think that.

I actually heard from the vet first thing on Friday morning, but didn't want to post here until I'd talk to AZMom. Now I feel I can update you all on the situation.

First, the good news-- he is negative for FIV and FeLV. Hurrah! Happy dance!

The bad news-- he is probably diabetic. (The probably is because apparently sugar levels can spike when cats are nervous. But the vet is pretty sure.) So he'll need insulin injections every day. She thinks we can get away with just one injection a day (normally you'd go with two, but given that he's semi-feral and outdoors, that would be even harder.)

As I said, I just spoke with AZMom, and apparently she has had some experience with treating a diabetic cat in the past, so she already knows how to inject him, etc. So I'll call the vet tomorrow and find out whatever we still need to find out in order to start treating him.

Apparently, though, Gandolf suffered no ill effects that we know of from his recent trip to the vet. He's still cuddly and loving, and calmly waited with AZMom 'til he was un-groggy enough to go back outside.

It's really hard to find a family for a kitten. It's 10-times as hard to find a family for an adult cat. The odds of finding a family for a semi-feral diabetic orange tabby... I don't even want to contemplate them. But he's really loving, with the people who feed him (as opposed to the people who jab at him) and would, actually, make a really sweet and loving companion. So if you know of anyone who wants beautiful, skinny, needs-help tabby cat...

But of course AZMom and I will keep doing the best we can for him. (Really, AZMom gets all the credit for Mr Gandolf's care so far!!)

Please keep him in your thoughts, too, as we start to treat him. He can't be feeling too good just now, or, really, for a while now. We'll do the best we can.