Friday, April 25, 2008

Itteh Bitteh Kitteh Committeh

I wish I could take credit for the clever title, but alas, it was created by a friend of a friend. But it was too great to pass up! A kitteh committeh is exactly what we've become!

I got some new shots of cats today, as you can see, so I thought I'd share. I also thought I'd update you on where the Raffle prizes stand.

To the right is Dilute Tortie. She doesn't have a real name yet, but when she gets sponsored she will. She seems to be a sweetie, always just around the corner. She stays far enough away so that she can easily run if I make any sudden movements, but she's brave enough to come pretty darn close, especially if there's food involved.

Next up, Cyrano. Oh come on, the splotch on his nose makes it a perfect name, no? I think Cyrano's the bee's knees, but he's way uncertain of me. This is the best photo I've gotten of him so far, even though I've seen him around for a few weeks. (The photo is taken with my camera's zoom set to its highest setting, you see.) I've never seen a tuxie with quite this sort of facial marking; I think it's fabulous!!

I should probably mention that at this point all gender specifications of cats is completely guesswork. I know that orange cats are generally male and torties are generally female, and have named/commented appropriately. Everyone else is a guess which will only be confirmed during TNR.

And then there's Little Orange. I'm pretty sure that Little Orange rather young-- not full grown, not filled out. He's braver than most of the cats, coming pretty close to wait for food, and even sniffing my backpack this morning!! (Admittedly, that was while I was busy taking pictures of Dilute Tortie, but still.) Sorry the shot's blurry, it was the best I could do. Mainly Little Orange was hidding *behind* the backpack! (My bag undoubtedly smells like my cats, hence it being intriguing to Little Orange.)

Little Orange is just what I call him. A sponsor may name him whatever s/he likes. Of all the cats in the colony, I suspect that Little Orange would adapt easiest and best at this point to being 'domesticated'-- but there are 350,000 unwanted free-roaming cats in the Phoenix area, so I don't anticipate that being an option. Instead, we'll end his and his colony's breeding cycle and maintain the colony.

... I feel a bit like Sally Struthers. "For just one dollar a day, you can send Little Orange to school, with help to carry that giant backpack."

Little Orange asks, please, won't someone think of the kittehs? Heh.

Speaking of donations, in the roughly 48 hours that Project-Cat has been in existence, we've raised $280. That is just mind boggling to me. We are on the way to succeeding in this endeavor. We're not there yet, of course, but the raffle starts Monday, and I have high hopes!! To those of you who donated, thank you ever so much. (And by 'donated', I also very much mean the wonderful and talented people who have donated prizes for the raffle!)

Which segues nicely into my next topic: The Raffle, which will be the next post. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Permission to macro photos? *grin*

The Commissioner said...

Permission to macro photos?

Granted!! As long as you let me see them. :D