Wednesday, May 11, 2011

It's officially Terrible News

Despite my beautifully reasoned logic, despite my tears upon finding out that they've already taken three cats (which ones?? I don't know.) to the humane society, there is no budging.

I have never said where I lived on this blog, what apartment complex is doing this-- which once worked with me so wonderfully to TNR the cats and is now killing them-- but I might as well now.

It's Villagio Apartment Homes and it's run by MEB Corporation-- a company which owns and leases a huge percentage of apartments in this area.

In fact, if you'd like to call MEB and give them a piece of your mind about how they are KILLING cats, it's 602-279-5553.  That's no the office of this complex, that's higher up to the corporation that has made the decree.  (This is MEB's website.)

You can also write to them in Phoenix:1215 East Missouri Avenue; Phoenix, AZ 85014

Or email them at info@mebmgmt.com

The story from the manager here is that people have still been complaining about the cats and that two residents have moved out, citing the cats as their reason.  (It is, evidently, "too sad" to see them outdoors all summer.  So apparently KILLING THEM is the answer?!)

What about the people who LIKE to see the cats here (doing no harm, might I point out-- certainly less damage than the children who live here.)?  What about the fact that cats keep away the scorpions?

What about the fact that these are living creatures whose plight is made by stupid people?

I seriously don't know what else to do.  (I haven't called the corporate office yet because I can't stop crying.)

I don't know which three cats MEB Management and Villagio have already killed.

And I spoke with one of my neighbors who gave me the only good news I've got -- Tig(g)er has a forever home, an indoor forever home.

I walked the property and found only the one trap-- I don't know how many there are.  It's (they're?) not set well, but evidently set well enough to catch three so... crap. 

My lease is up in August and I have made it clear that I cannot give money to a company that kills these cats, so I guess I'll be looking for a (non-MEB) apartment very, very soon.  Sigh.  But then, a huge, huge part of why I hadn't moved in the past 5 years was taking care of these cats.

Other than inundating MEB Management with rational, sane requests to stop their plan (because it won't work-- they won't catch them all; because it's inhumane-- feral cats are killed upon being brought to the humane society; because more cats will move in within months of this colony disappearing; because they will no longer have me to TNR the new cats), I ... don't know what to do.




3 comments:

Alicia said...

I'm so sorry Jenna. I wish you and the cats luck.

Laurie Brown said...

I just sent them a sane, logical email about this. I hope they can be persuaded to change their minds but with corporate it's a hard road.

You don't know me; I saw a signal boost about this on Tamnonlinear's LJ.

Rose @ Eat, Drink, and Be Meiri said...

I wrote them as rational an email as I could.

If you can think of anything else we the readers can do, please let us know.