Thursday, May 12, 2011

MEB Management Company Kills Cats

The headline isn't news, of course, if you've read the previous posts.  I just want it to be out there.  People hide behind terms like "putting to sleep" or concepts like "taking to the Humane Society," and convince themselves that these cats will have a home found for them.  Well, no.  That's not what happens.  Consider the enormous percentage of healthy, friendly, adoptable cats who are euthanized because homes can't be found for them. There is no space at shelters for feral cats who cannot be adopted. So if you, or Villagio's maintenance, or MEB's managers, drop off a feral cat to the Humane Society, you are killing that cat.

I wrote to MEB, as did several people who have commented here and in other places.  I have received no response, which is not exactly a surprise, although it is disheartening.  (I wonder how many people choose not to live here or to leave not because of the feral cats but because of things like the pants that have been sitting on top of one of the carparks (visible from my stairwell) for the past three years?  Accompanied, of course, with two beer bottles and, a recent addition, a glass.  Classy! Or the laundry machines that suddenly went up in price, but remained the same in quality and went down in quantity.  I'm not saying I'm going to move out because all of the dryers have their lint-traps torn and useless, but it's not exactly enticing me to stay...)

Anyway. I have spent the day thus far sending emails to other organizations in the hopes that someone can give me advice or help, but I'm not hopeful.  I've also gone on a walk to do a headcount of the remaining cats.  You'll forgive me, I hope, if I don't tell you numbers or names-- I don't wish to make MEB's job any easier since I think it is morally reprehensible.  (I have also removed similar information from the previous post.)  If you are concerned about a particular cat or just want to know numbers/etc., feel free to contact me through less public channels.

Keep watching this space, though, and keep those emails being sent to MEB Management.

info@mebmgmt.com  OR (and I just found this one) leasingcentral@mebmgmt.com

(If I find an email address that seems less slush-pile, I will let you know)

or call 602-279-5515

Let them know what you think of their tactics (which don't work in the long run anyway.)

If I get news that another group can help-- although as I say, I have no idea how-- here may be a necessary fundraiser in the future.  We shall see.  No need to send donations now, just gather ideas.

And keep these cats in your thoughts.

No comments: